Module 4: Making Web 2.0 Work For Your Organisation

Thought For The Day…

For my Social Networking project for Assessment 3, I created for GWPS library a website that provides both curriculum support and community information. The website presents information by incorporating various Web 2.0 tools in the aim of sharing, collaborating and creating community. Completing this project was interesting and rewarding because I believe that I am shifting my library closer towards a Library 2.0.

Undoubtly, this newly created digital resource will be of great value to the library and the school. However, I am starting to feel a little annoyed as I engage in the readings of Module 4. I am reading statements such as:

• ‘Blogging, on average, takes ten to thirty minutes – less than half a lunch break’ (Brookover, 2007).
  • ‘Almost everything we have discussed has, as its only cost, time-necessary to plan, implement and review. No expensive technologies to purchase, no cutting edge software, no $500 an hour consultations’ (Casey & Stephens, 2009).

My annoyance is based on projects such as mine being created on the goodwill of the TL. I am a full time TL with a full-time teaching load and little administration time during the school day. I am a TL that aims to achieve consistant quality teaching on a daily basis for my students. The creation of the GWPS library website took approximately one hundred hours of collecting digital resources and then creating the actual website! The one hundred hours were all outside of official work time- my evenings and my weekends over a number of months. The comments of Brookover (2007) and Casey and Stephens (2009) are not appreciated! Here are some of the reasons why the comments are not appreciated;

• I am now aware of the many and varied Web 2.0 tools and resources, but it takes me time to understand how to use and implement them. Therefore it will take me a great deal of time to plan and implement digital tools into my library - technology does not come easily for some of us!
  • Paying a consultant $500 an hour may have been money well spent! I could have concentrated on what I do best- teaching and acquiring resources. Therefore, the technical building of the website could have been done in a fraction of the time that it actually took! If I’d left the website building to the professionals I could have concentrated on perfecting how to use the tools on the website for my library and library lessons.
  • I believe we as TLs already do so many tasks of our own goodwill! So Brookover (2007) I can not Blog during my lunchtime because I have Executive Meetings, Student Representative Council meetings, Debating coaching and any spare lunch time I have duties!

As all my posts demonstrate I am passionate about my TL position and engaging my learning community in a new GWPS Library 2.0, but I don’t appreciate the attitudes and comments of the authors mentioned because it is under valuing what we TLs already do during the work day and what we do in our own time to advance our libraries – these extra activities and roles should have a price tag too!

References

Brookover, S. (2007) Why we blog, Library Journal [web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6497263.html

Casey, M. & Stephens, M. (2009). You can’t afford not to do these things, Library Journal, 15 March. Retrieved from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6639942.html?industryid=47356 

_____________________________________________________________

OLJ Task: Select three libraries that use social networking to meet their goals. Compare how each of the libraries uses social networking tools to support information service provision, educational programs and conducts business.

The selected libraries are:

1. Auburn North (ANPS)    http://www.anpslibrary.com/index.html

2. Mrs.Williams  (Mrs.W)    http://www.mrswilliamslibrary.com/

3. Inter- Lace (I-L)  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~slacey/

A Comparative Table of How Each Library Uses SN to Meet the Needs -

ANPS

MRS.W

I-L

Facebook

Twitter

Flickr

Blog

*

*

RSS Feeds              *                           *  
You Tube              *                            *  
Linkedin      

The above table demonstrates the limited number of SN tools that NSW DET primary schools use on their library websites. Privacy and security issues are paramount to every library when implementing SN tools. It may be for privacy and security reasons that the three selected library websites have included limited SN tools on their websites. As public primary schools in NSW develop a better understanding of the elements that constitute a Social Networking Poloicies, Social Media Policies and Digital Citizenship Policies, it would be anticipated that only then more SN tools will be included in NSW public primary school library websites.

How the three selected schools library websites assists in information service provision, education programs and conducting business through blogging:

• Reviews for books.
  • Notification of upcoming events.
  • Review of events.
  • Highlighting competitions.
  • Notification of new resources.
  • News and events in the library.
  • Contacting library staff.
  • Sharing podcasts and videos.

How the three selected schools library websites assists in information service provision, education programs and conducting business through RSS Feeds:

• Notification of news and events in the library.
  • Sharing of podcasts and videos.
  • Contact library staff.

If the selected schools library websites included the social networking tools of Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and Linkedin it could provide information service provision, education programs and conduct business by:

Facebook:

• Notification of library events.
  • Sharing of images and videos.
  • Links to resources in the library.
  • Contact library staff.

Twitter:

• Notification of library events.
  • Sharing of images and videos.
  • Links to resources in the library.
  • Contact library staff.

Flickr:

• Sharing of photos and videos.

Linkedin:

• Professional networking for the TLs and library assistants.

Apologies … the following lines I could not remove.

Reasons Why Libraries Should Be On Social Media…

1. Creates Community! It creates community at a micro-level (within the school) and a macro-level (all libraries across the globe). Brookover (2007) states that blogging allows the library to reach out and have ‘conversations with its users through a medium they already know’.

ANPS’s Blog Spot is an excellent example of creating community at a micro-level. ANPS uses the blog to promote the achievements of students and events within the school and the library. Photos, videos and voice threads are used to engage students in their learning activities and to share general information.

All three of the libraries websites create community at macro-level by actually displaying their libraries in the virtual world for others to be inspired and for resources to be used.

Brookover (2007) states blogs written for internal and external staff improves communication flow. It is an additional method in conjunction with e-mail, and phone to communicate and collaborate with other libraries. There appears to be no evidence of the blogs on the selected websites being used for this purpose.

2. Sharing of Resources in the Virtual World! Information users need not only visit the physical confines of a library, but should also be able to access information in the virtual world. Students at all three schools are fortunate to be able to access resources for academic, social and recreational purposes both in the physical and virtual worlds. For example, all of the libraries link websites associated to syllabus units of work. 

3. Opportunities to Create Content! Our students live in the information age – they can access copious amount of information and now they should also have the resources and be taught the skills of how to create their own content to share in the information age. All three schools provide a good range of Web 2.0 tools and resources, and all three schools demonstrate on their website the use and effective implementation of these tools by the TL.

4. To Connect with Users! The younger generation is using SN and SM tools. In order for libraries to communicate with their users they must be active on these sites, primary school is good place to begin where a safe virtual world can be created and cyber etiquette taught appropriately.

5. Feedback! Burkhardt (2009) states, ‘being responsive to users concerns or praise’ is an important feature of a Library 2.0. Therefore, indicating to the library users that their thoughts, ideas, suggestions and concerns are important. Consequently, ‘trusting them… giving them a role in helping define the library’ (Farkas, 2008).

6. Advertisement ! Wee (2010) suggests when searches are made on the net, people do not extend past the first page of the search results. For many large libraries it is essential to have the library’s website on the first page of a search result. However, for a primary school library website I do not think this is as important. The importance for a primary school library website is to be known and used by the immediate learning community. This can be achieved by advertising in school newsletters, library displays and links through the school’s intranet.

References

Brookover, S. (2007). Why we blog, Library Journal [web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6497263.html

Burkhardt, A. (2009). Four reasons libraries should be on social media [web log post]. Retrieved from http://andyburkhardt.com/2009/08/25/four-reasons-libraries-should-be-on-social-media/

Farkas, M. (2008). The essence of library 2.0, Information wants to be free [web log post]. Retrieved from http://meredith.wolfwater.com/wordpress/2008/01/24/the-essence-of-library-20/

Wee, W. (2010). INFOGRAPHIC: Guide to the social media marketing landscape. Retrieved from http://www.techinasia.com/infographic-guide-to-the-social-media-marketing-landscape/

__________________________________________________________

OLJ Task: Develop a draft marketing strategy for your organisation.

Following are steps and questions that may be considered when developing a draft social media marketing strategy.

1. Develop a plan and write it down (Brown, 2009). 
  2. Consider what objectives are to be achieved.
  3. Decide on the areas of the library to be highlighted/ marketed. 
  4. Decide which services, products or programs that are to be highlighted/ marketed? 
  5. Which part of the user group is being targetted? 
  6. Research the type of online behaviour/activity that will reach your audience group.
  7. Could the implementation of a SM tool be used? 
  8. Will a cost be associated with the marketing strategy?
  9. What timeframe will be placed on the marketing strategy from creation to implementation stage.
  10. Balance the number of social media tools implemented – do not over commit. It is better to do less and do it well, rather than too many and not do it well!

Following the above outlined steps and questions, a marketing strategy could be developed to promote participation in the ‘NSW Premiers Reading Challenge’, as follows:

1. Develop a plan and write it down (Brown, 2009)

• Promote participation in the NSW Premiers Reading Challenge for K-6.

2. Consider what objectives are to be achieved -

• Increase the number of students completing the challenge across K-6.
  • Students to read a broad range of genres.

3. Decide on the areas of the library to be highlighted/ marketed -

• Fiction and non-fiction books that are a part of the challenge.
  • How to find the books in the library that are a part of the challenge.
  • Hard-copy on ‘NSW premiers Reading Challenge’ lists/booklets at the circulation desk.  

• TL conducts an introduction to the ‘NSW Premiers Reading Challenge’ on the first Wednesday of each term (3.30-4.00) for parents and students (Video of this introduction is on the library’s website).
  • ‘Library Lovers’ (monitors) are available Tuesday lunch times to help students record books read onto their online student record.
  • TL is available for students/ parents on Monday mornings (8.30-9.00) to guide/ answer questions regarding the challenge.

• All students K-6.

• Observation
  • Informal discussions with students during library lessons/ research lessons.
  • Survey years 3-6 to determine interest level in the challenge.

• Video – video the TL explaining the benefits of partaking in challenge -link to website . 
  • Voice threads/ Images – promoting and highlighting varied genres in the library- link to website.
  • The videos, voice threads and images to be placed on the library’s website.
  • On the Library Blog have ‘Challenge Book Club’.
  • On the Library Blog create a forum for students and parents to ask the TL questions.

• Costs may be incurred if displays are created within the library for such items as paint, art materials or banners. 

9. What timeframe will be placed on the marketing strategy.

• March-September each year

Balance the number of social media tools implemented – do not over commit. It is better to do less and do it well, rather than too many and not do it well!

References

Brown, A. (2009). Developing an effective social media marketing strategy. Salt Lake City Social Media Examiner (July 30).